The Berlin Hotel is the oldest commercial building on Route 30 (The White Horse Pike) between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City, New Jersey. The exact date the hotel was built is not known, but the deed to Thomas Wright, the first owner, shows that he was living at the location as early as 1826/27. It is one of the few remaining buildings dating back to 1827 or earlier in Berlin today. The hotel was used as a stopping point for mule teams, stagecoaches, jitneys, and buses. It was also within walking distance of the Berlin Train Station. One of the hotel's owners opened the area's first drug stores next to the hotel.
The architecture of the building is Late Victorian/Gothic Revival in keeping with the time it was built. It's twin gables, arched windows, bay windows, shutters, decorative trimmings, and front porch are reminders of the simpler life of days gone by. There was a water trough and pump in the front for patrons to water their horses. In the 1920's, the hotel used a windmill to pump water.
There have been as many as 14 owners of the Berlin Hotel. All ran it as a hotel and restaurant. For 170 years, the Berlin Hotel was used by vacationers, delivery drivers, rail travelers, and local residents for rest and food. It was closed in 1997 to be demolished to make way for a new building. In 1998, it was put on the Preservation New Jersey's list of 10 Most Endangered Historic Buildings. Through a grassroots effort, the hotel was saved in December of 1999. This was made possible through a grant, donations, fundraisers, and lots of hard work by a very dedicated and determined group of volunteers. In March of 2000, the hotel was moved to a new location not far from the original spot and will remain, as it has always been, one of the most prominent buildings along Route 30. It stands as a monument to the time it was built and the town that was forming.