The Camden and Absecon Railroad Company laid a single rail line in 1853 that ran parallel to the main road between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City, New jersey. The Long-A-Coming Station, as it was oringinally called, was built in 1856. A hotel and tavern were within walking distance of the station to make it an ideal place for a stop.
On February 5, 1867, the station was renamed "Magnolia". This caused much confusion because the town of Magnolia was nearby. So, three months later, on May 7, the town name and the station name were changed to Berlin.
The first Station Agent was Joseph L. Thackara. Other residents who served as agents were Howard C. Sharp, Mr. Brace, Henry N. Gillon, David R. Lee, Herbert R. Snyder, and John W. Green. The station was used for both passengers and freight.
After some heavy rail traffic in the early years, the depression and increase of automobiles caused train travel to decline. By the 1960's the railroad that had grown to a double track was reduced back to a single line and stations were closed and removed. The Berlin Station was closed. It stood empty until 1994 when two residents, Roy Schmidt and Dan Pomponio, Sr., organized the restoration of the station. The Long-A-Coming Historical Society members did the work. The restoration took 2 years to complete. The railroad allowed the station to remain on its original spot. It is the meeting place for the Long-A-Coming Historical Society and several other area organizations.
The Berlin Train Station is the oldest existing station in New Jersey. It is listed on the New Jersey and National Registry of Historic Places.